Sunday, May 20, 2012

Blacker than Black by Rhi Etzweiler

Summary:
Apparently, my twin and I are two of York’s most notorious criminals. We’ve been Nightwalkers in the blue-light district since the vamps took over the world. Don’t know how many years it’s been. Long enough that a stream of fellow ’walkers have come and gone. Most don’t last long selling their chi. End up face-down in the gutter, or worse.

For us, one night and one sale change everything.

Monsieur Garthelle is the first john to hunt me down. He calls me a chi thief in one breath and offers absolution—servitude—in the next. Maybe I’m a sucker, but I like living and breathing. Strange that such a powerful vamp would show leniency to a mere human. And something’s not right with the chi I took from him. It won’t go away.

Neither will he, and he’s forcing us to spy on his peers. Then a vamp turns up dead, and we go from playing eyes and ears to investigating a murder. This isn’t what I signed up for. All I ever wanted was to sell a little chi, maybe steal some in return. I should’ve kept my damn hands to myself.

This is my story. Look through my eyes.

Reviewer: WhiteDaisy
This story developed slowly and with a really interesting complex plot. The whole concept of this story was simply amazing.

Black and Jhez where twins working on a Blue District. You could call them mutts, because their father is a high ranking lyche (vampire) and their mother was a human. Because they were only human children, their father abandoned them. Black and Jhez were forced to live on the street, so they became Nightwalkers. They were selling their energy (chi) to low ranking vampires. Nightwalker and streetwalker are not the same in this story. Streetwalkers deal with prostitution but as Nightwalkers, the twins were unique. They were stealing a small amount of Chi from each john which used, to tap Chi from them. But the johns never knew or were aware of that, while they where draining the chi from Black, he tapped into a client and was stealing a bit of chi himself.

The story begins with Black getting into a car of a new john, not knowing he will be the one who will get tricked this night. Black didn't know the john was a high ranking lyche (vampire) Monsieur of York, who deliberately lured Black in on the pretense he wanted a simple Chi from him. But Monsieur Garthelle or Leonard knew what Black could do, so he let Black tap into him and steal Leonard's Chi, to get a hold on the twins. Leonard sought Black out specifically so that this would happen. So that Leonard could blackmail the twins into working for him!

But this was just the beginning of this story, the plot is rather complex and truly well developed. The slowly developed complex romance between Black and Leonard was a big part of this whole mystery too. I really enjoyed this story. It was simply amazing. Sure Leonard did trick the twins, but only for a cover, he wanted the twins around him to shield them for a good reason. We had a lot of twists and turns in this story and I didn't always know who was the good or bad guy. At the end everything finally came together and was happy and I liked that, even if I did miss an epilogue. I'm giving 4.5 stars.

Publisher: Riptide Publishing
Review Courtesy Of: ManicReaders

0 comments:

Post a Comment