Friday, September 23, 2011

Hype

I recently went through my goodreads account and saw that I have been mainly reading Mills and Boon/Harlequin. And before that, I was reading Lynn Hagen, who become a favourite amongst the MM community, just to see what the fuss was about. But it got me to thinking. Why do I read these books? Yes, some of these books can be good reads but honestly, I finish these books very fast and then I get bored as it's not satisfying as a good read. So why waste time when I could be reading something from the New York bestseller list or a favourite author. It's the hype. Lynn Hagen has been constantly topping Bookstrand's list each week. And Mills and Boon has always been popular, they have been in the game so long. Honestly hype isn’t always the best way to chose a book. It can backfire. As an avid reader since childhood, I have seen authors promoted and touted as the next so and so but then fall short of the high expectations. Then there are the surprise authors who out of no where became popular. Hype has become a key tool in the book industry and it's said that publishers are loosing ground in this area as bookstores are closing around the world (Borders closing down in America, Australia and other countries).

Fashionta

0 comments:

Post a Comment